Thursday, August 21, 2014

Ovarian Torsion

This was by far the worst weekend ever. On July 27th, I got up to go to church and was in a lot of pain. Pain was nothing new, but this by far had been the worst. I still got ready for church and I was waiting for my mother to come pick me up. We were headed to a fair-well for one of my work buddies (my first mate). As I was sitting on the couch waiting I came to the realization that there was no way I was getting out of the house. So I called my mom and said I'm sorry I'm just in too much pain. I was so sad.
I decided to call the after hours OB line and they told me to come in as soon as I could to get checked out. Justin was busy at church that day too. He didn't have a teacher for his class, no one to help get things set up but he left it all so he could take me to the emergency room.
The car ride to the hospital was terrible. I was writhing in pain the whole time, I couldn't sit still. I made Justin pull over on Beck Street so I could throw up....I didn't, but it would of made me feel better. We got back on the road and finally made it to the hospital.
We got upstairs, and then I threw up which was fun, throwing up in the hall way with everyone watching. We finally got in a room and they started checking me out. The babies turned out to be fine. Their heart rates sounded good. They narrowed it down to either being my appendics or an ovarian torsion. This is something else I had never herd of before. Apparently your ovaries can twist and the blood flow gets cut off. This is actually what it ended up being, but it was a long road to figuring it out.
They did some blood tests, so basically we just had to wait. I was still in the worst pain I had ever been in. I actually asked Justin for a blessing. Jake, his brother, came up and they did that for me. After that I was finally able to get some pain killers. They started with morphine. I was so excited, bring on the pain killers. But to my despair the morphine did absolutely nothing! It made me feel weird in the head (more so than usual... Just kidding) but it did not even touch the pain. They switched me over to a synthetic morphine which then helped, but I could only get this every 4 hours I think. I didn't actually take all the pain away, but it settled me down a little and I was able to hold still for more than 2 seconds and I could breath a little better.
After a while they still didn't know what was wrong.  They took me downstairs to get an ultrasound to check the ovary. It ended up being not very helpful. I pretty much tried to sit as still, which I didn't really succeed at. I watched the two sweet girls that took me down there look at me with extreme pity. Like I said the ultrasound was not very helpful. They did tell me the ovary looked like it did have a little less blood flow, but all in all it was pretty inconclusive.
There next step was to take me in for a MRI. They took me back up to my room to get me ready.
This is when everything turned around. They had just put me in the wheel chair and we were headed down the hall and another nurse stopped us. She yelled "don't go the doctor wants to see her first." It was not just any doctor it was MY doctor.
When Dr. Adelman walked in I think I just about lost it. I was so happy to see her. She was just in her street clothes, she said she stopped by to see a patient and they told her I was here and so she was like "ok I'll check on her too."
She said we were not doing an MRI. She was going to get me prepped for surgery and go in and see what the problem was herself. No matter what ended up being the problem, she was still going to have to do surgery. So why do a MRI and keep me in pain longer than I needed to be.
Within about 30 or 45 minutes I was being wheeled into surgery.
Right before I went down they gave me another shot of the synthetic morphine so I was pretty calm. But I told the anesthesiologist he was my new best friend. He was pretty awesome. They were still getting the room prepped when they took me in, I got to talk with them, and joke around. They were pretty fun. Finally, he gave me the good stuff and the last thing I remember is Dr Adelman coming in giving me a pat on the arm, smiled, and I was out.
I then woke up in recovery and they gave me ice chips and I slowly woke up. My Mom and Dad and Justin were in the waiting room, and according to my mother, Justin was getting a little impatient. It look me a lot longer to come out of the anesthesia then they had originally said. But I was finally awake and the took me up to the Women's Special Care unit.
They were so awesome up there. My nurse took the best care of me. But unfortunately I soon started to bleed. It was not too bad but was just another thing to add to the list of awful things happening.
The short version from here is I was pretty much a mess, couldn't do anything for myself, and Justin an the nurses we amazing. I stayed the night and by the morning I was a lot better. I could walk around by myself, and the doctors said I could go home. I chose to stay just a few hours longer. I was still bleeding and kind of worried, and to top it all off it was Justin's birthday.
The resident doctor that assisted with the surgery, Dr. Edmunds, came and told me that my ovary was barely getting any blood. They got in there and it was twisted almost three times around, and it was purple. They ended up untwisting it and it turned pink pretty fast, so luckily it didn't die and they didn't have to remove it. They also ended up tacking the ovary down onto my pelvis so it would not twist again.
They were totally baffled on how this happened. They said there is no room inside a pregnant woman, let alone a 22 week pregnant woman to have an ovary get twisted. They jokingly asked if I had been out doing cartwheels. In the end I'm just glad it got fixed.
It took about a week for the swelling to go down in my stomach. I have three little incisions from the surgery, and now it's been a little over two weeks and I haven't had any more problems....with my ovaries. continue reading and you will get to see what fun we had next. (Spoiler alert: I'm typing this from a hospital bed).

No comments:

Post a Comment