Thursday, August 21, 2014

24 Week Ultrasound

Just another routine ultrasound....wrong....
We originally went in thinking that this was just a routine 24 week ultrasound. The babies looked great, and we were just waiting for the OK to leave. Thats when the ultrasound tech came back and said, "i'm sorry, you cant go home. Your cervix is really short, and we think you might be having contractions. We are taking you over to OB Emergency."
This totally took us off guard, but we went with it. I guess my cervix was slightly short on the 20 week ultrasound, but not terribly abnormal so they did not worry about it. This week is was a good .5 centimeter shorter.
They wheeled me over to OB Emergency, and hooked me up to the contraction monitor. Sure enough I was contracting about every 2 or 3 mintes. I was totally oblivious to the contractions. What really made us a little nervous is they took us over to Labor and Delivery next. Was I really in that much risk at having these babies right now. We were really confused.
I hung out in Labor and Delivery for the night while they monitored me and gave me something to stop the contractions. Pretty much after the first pill they stopped, but I spent the night, and then in the morning they took me to the Women's Special Care Unit.
The next 36 hours was uneventful, so I will spare you the details. I hung out, monitored the babies every few hours, and got a lot of cross stitching done.
The funniest part is Justin and I were hanging out in the room, didn't really know what was going on. We didn't know how long they were planning on keeping me, or anything really, when Dr. Edmunds walked in. Dr. Edmunds was the one that assisted in on the surgery I had just a few weeks before. He walked in and was like "Hi, I was just talking about you today." I guess every other week at there board meetings or what not, they talk about the cases they have worked on, and he had brought up mine since it was particullary strange. We had a good laugh, and he asked what had brought us in today, he had just been walking by and noticed my name. We had a little chat, and he said he was not working that week, but he would go find the Doctor for me. She came in a few minutes later, and the first thing she said "that was you he was talking about today?" And we all had another good laugh.
I ended up staying in the hospital from Wednesday evening until Friday afternoon. I took the rest of the weekend easy. And then went back to work on Monday.


No comments:

Post a Comment