Thursday, August 14, 2014

16 Weeks - Placenta Previa

So for every few weeks I am affirmed that we made the right decision to stay at the U.
I will take you back to a Tuesday evening in late June. I was not feeling that great but really that was no big deal, I never feel that great. We had plans to go to Salt Lake to hang out with Justin's brother. I tried to put on my happy face, and I drove out there to meet them. We brought in dinner that night and later we were sitting around, (I was laying on Justin's lap on the couch) and I knew instantly something was wrong. I calmly went to the rest room and sure enough I had started to bleed.
I quietly went out to Justin and said I think you need to take me the hospital. So we got up, excused ourselves and left. Since we were in Salt Lake already it was nice to be so close to the hospital. We went right up in about 5 minutes. Justin dropped me off at the ER and I checked in, and they took me up to the OB Emergency.
This was my first experience up there, and I have decided the OB Emergency room has 1. The most uncomfortable beds ever! And 2. The contraction bands they make you wear when you get there are just about the most uncomfortable thing I have ever worn. So on top of being totally scared out of my mind, and that I was loosing my babies, they make you extremely uncomfortable.
They started with an ultrasound to check out the babies. They ended up being just fine. Bouncing around and looking good. They said their fluid was good, and their heart rates looked good. We were also able to find out that one of them is a boy! We could not obviously tell the gender of the other sadly.
After some further investigation they determined that I had Placenta Previa. As this being my first pregnancy I was like "say what?" That is something I had never heard of before.
Placenta Previa, for those that are as clueless as I was, is when one of the babies placentas is partially or fully covering the cervix. Apparently the cervix is rough, so as the placenta rubs against it, it then can cause bleeding. Since it was so early in the pregnancy they said as my uterus grows the chance of the placenta moving higher (where it should be) is pretty high. I just needed to be careful and watch my activity level because that can cause more irritation between the placenta and cervix.
They continued to monitor me and we ended up going home at about 3:00 in the morning when the bleeding calmed down. They gave me instructions on what to watch for and determine if I needed to come in again.
It was a fun night, and everything was great for a a few weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment