Saturday, March 15, 2014

One Last Insemination

Before we went to IVF we wanted to try one more insemination. I went back on all the drugs that I had previously been taking, plus one more. The doctor wanted to know if we were interested in trying something a little more aggressive. We agreed because even if it was a little more expensive, and if it worked, we then didn't have to do IVF which was 10X more expensive.
Dr. Peterson had me do a few injections of Gonal F. Gonal F is the hormone FSH  that helps stimulate healthy ovaries to produce eggs.
We were really hopeful for this round. One Sunday I was curious to know if I was ovulating. With all these months of failure something had to be wrong. So I just took a test for the heck of it. It ended up being positive! I pretty much freaked out, called the nurse on call, and they had me rush in to get an ultrasound.
I drove over to the church and picked Justin up so we could ride up to the clinic.
During ultrasounds what they do is measure the size of the follicles, and record how many are growing. I had a ton! and they were big! But unfortunately that is not a good thing in this case. The University won't do an insemination if there is a chance of a crazy amount of multiple births. So they shut me down. They gave me a form of progesterone and said sorry. That was a really awful day. I don't think Justin knew how to calm me down. I just cried and cried. I cried in the doctors office, in the car, at the pharmacy, on the car ride home, and more at home. And a few days later I still was a little teary.
So with this fun day we knew there was no other option but IFV.

No comments:

Post a Comment