Saturday, March 15, 2014

Egg Retrieval

The egg retrieval was nothing like what I expected it to be. I really did not know what to expect. But the retrieval was Wednesday, it is now Saturday that I am typing this, and I still hurt. It fells like I have done a trillion sit ups. No joke. It hurts to walk, or sit. Most of the time the only comfortable position is lounging. Don't even get me started on trying to fall asleep at night.

But anyways. 8:45 Wednesday was our appointment. I had to take a shot at precisely 9:15 the night before so that it was in my system for 36 hours before the retrieval. I had to take the shot at Justin's Grandmothers house that night. I told her I was sorry, but I had to go shoot up in her bathroom real fast. We smiled, and she said, no problem, I don't mind as long as its you. I just love her. (She also told me that night she would find me another husband).
We got to the office, we went to the room, I got my vitals checks (my blood pressure was the highest I had ever seen it, normally its really good) and got in my gown. One of the doctors came in and told me all the wonderful things that could go wrong during the procedure and made me sign a consent form (also not good for my blood pressure) and then I got my IV.

The sad part was Justin was not able to be with me during the procedure. They told me most people just sleep through it. They give drugs to help with the pain, and they said it really only hurts with the initial poke through the ovaries. They were wrong FYI.

So they put you in a chair, in the normal position for a visit to your OB. But then they move the chair so your legs are above your head. Its cold and uncomfortable, but luckily they do give you drugs quickly. They also told me I would not remember the procedure, another lie. I remember, and I remember that I was in a lot of pain. I remember the nurse stroking my arm trying to calm me down. I did eventually fall asleep because I don't remember going back into the room. But I did wake up in my room, and Justin and the nurse was there.

It then was the normal waking up from lots of drugs in your system. They gave me crackers and juice, and when I was ready we went home.
Justin was really disappointed because the doctor said I would be really loopy and fun.Wrong, I was just really tired, and I remember having a hard time trying to talk.

In the end they retrieved 14 egg, 13 of which were mature.

No comments:

Post a Comment