Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Home

Home. Finally. I don't think I can do justice on describing how wonderful it is to be home! It is by no means glamorous. We eat, sleep and watch TV all day long, but it is wonderful!

Justin and I have worked out a pretty good system for now. The kids eat every 3 hours. Justin takes the early morning shift. He wakes up at 2:00 am and feeds the kids until he goes to work. I then wake up at 8:00 am and take care of them all day. Justin gets home from work around 3:00, and then goes to bed at 8:00 pm and I stay up until 1:00 am or so.

One of the good things about being at the hospital is the kids are on a great schedule already. And because we spent so much time up there, the transition from hospital to home and been really smooth. I thought my days would be crazy, and I would need my Dad over hear all the time to help me out. But the kids have been little angels. They are starting to wake up more and more by themselves every 3 hours. They are able to put themselves to sleep (most of the time). I just wrap them up tight and put them either in their mamaroo's or their crib and they snooze all day in between feedings.

The one thing I was really worried about was the dogs. I was not sure how they would handle having the kids home. After 3 months of us being at the hospital, I figured the dogs knew their smell from us. And to my pleasant surprise the dogs have done great with the new adjustment. Helo especially loves the babies and is really protective of them already. When they cry in their bedroom he will run in and check on them. He loves to give them kisses (I'm sure they are tasty). He also loves to steal their blankets, and take rides in their mamaroos. Bridgette on the other hand is pretty indifferent to the whole thing. We expected as much, and she has been through the whole new baby thing before.
I think Helo and Bridgette have a pretty cushy life right now. We all hang out on the couch all day long. And since we are worried about them acting out we have let them sleep in the bed with us pretty much every night now. I don't mind as much anymore because I have now become a much better sleeper. I used to toss and turn all night, with the dogs annoying me all the time. Now I can fall a sleep within minutes, and wake up without ever having moved. That is one change that I am really liking.

The night before they came home I was in a bit of a panic. I kept thinking of all these things that I needed to do. Lots of little things that really didn't matter. Justin gave me the best advice. He said, "come to bed, we will learn how to live again tomorrow."
You never know what life is going to throw at you. Who would of guessed that I would have gone through everything we did to get here. But like the title of my blog, we just have to take it one day at a time, and do our very best. One of my very favorite quotes is "tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it...yet" I'm sure I will make lots of mistakes, but I am doing the best I can, and with my Heavenly Father's guidance I know that I can accomplish anything.

This is probably my last post on this blog. I decided to switch back over to our family blog. You can continue to follow our story if you so desire. http://justin-megan.blogspot.com/ (be aware this blog has not been updated since 2012)













No comments:

Post a Comment