Thursday, September 11, 2014

Back to the Hospital

My bed rest at home lasted a glorious 2-1/2 days.  Saturday morning, the 6th of September, I woke up and knew everything was not OK. I had not been feeling that great the days I had been home, but I did not feel like I needed to worry. However, Saturday was different. I was having contractions more often and just generally feeling crappy, and I had started bleeding again.  I woke Justin up and told him I was not feeling well. He knew exactly what that meant. He got up, got ready, grabbed the hospital bag and set out.
On the way up to the hospital I was still having frequent contractions, but they were not that painful, and they lasted maybe 30 seconds.
As always it was the same routine. I was taken up to OB Emergency, got checked, babies were doing great. It turned out that my Cervix was now completely thinned, and I was dilated to 3cm. They sent me over to Labor and Delivery to get started on Magnesium and get more steroid shots.
I only know horror stories about Magnesium, I was not that excited to start that up. It is used to help protect the babies brains in pre-term labor, mostly to decrease the risk of cerebral palsy.
It also has other side effects of stopping contractions because it is a muscle relaxant.
My Aunt was on Magnesium when she had her twins and she said it was terrible. It made her hot, go red in the face, he mind go crazy, and she wanted to jump out the window. I had also been told multiple times in the hospital that Magnesium is just terrible.
I admit it was not fun, it was also pleasantly not what I expected it to be. The only side effect I got was being really really warm! My actual temperature never increased, but I was dying of heat. This was a weird sensation for me because I am never warm! I asked Patti (such a sweet lady, and great nurse) to get me a fan. We had it directly blowing on me all day and all night full blast. Justin was so cold, I felt terrible. The instant that fan was not on me though, I could barely breath.
I did not sleep all night, not a wink. I was really tired Sunday morning. My contractions had really calmed down, but they wanted me on the Magnesium for 24 hours so I had to wait until about 10ish to get the IV out.  I then had to wait for a room to open up so they could move me over to Women's Special Care (my home away from home).

No comments:

Post a Comment